Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Poker Question

I had someone ask me this question the other day and I'm sure we've all thought this type of question before, so I figured I'd put it up along with my thoughts.
(player) Hey, I have been looking at my play for the week and was wondering. When your playing in tournaments. I have had this same situation happen all week. Early stages in the tourney before any antes start. Mainly like blinds are 50-100 some where around there. You pick up AK the betting gets crazy before it even gets to you. Do you consider the following things in making the decision.

1. - The way you have been running - This should never come into your mind before making any decesions. This sound like the tilt talking. We (poker players) will always have some bad runs, but we can't let any past beats haunt us into bad play.
2. - The ratio to how many times that day you seen that hand get crushed. - This also should never come into your mind before making any decesions. This sounds like another tilt question.I think sometimes the hardest part of this game can be maintaining composure when things don't go your way. Bad Beats can really break people down, and turn an A player into a C player FAST... the underlying question here isn't how long until the cards turn around, but I think moreso how does this player compensate for variance and handle themselves mentally.

There are many ways that poker players can go about handling variance/maintaining composure/pushing thru that "poker sludge", and I'd be happy to hear some! Chime in because I know we've all been here!

I will open up by saying, I will walk away from the game for a few days if I'm running bad and I feel my composure slipping... During that time I'll read a poker book, blog, play Wii and I usually feel refreshed mentally and anxious to get back at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment