Sunday, January 16, 2011

PCA Main Event Hand, and question...

I put off playing poker for most of the night to try and watch this PCA championship on TV and It feels like I have been in this damn tourney!!!  It's taking forever HU...  I guess if I was playing for an extra $500k and prestigous championship I might "take my time", "make calculated decesions" and "play smart poker". (As I write this I'm still watching...)

Anyone like this format of televised poker where you can see EVERY HAND being played?  I think I almost prefer to watch the edited version where you only see the big hands and it's all juicy poker action. 
Better question tho is could you fold a hand that was folded during this HU match on tv... here is a short breakdown... you tell me. (incase you didn't see it)

---3rd hand in HU:

Player Pumpkin - A2 (up to this point this player had been playing like a huge donk, just because they were the dominating chip leader)
Player Cactus - 84

Community - 532 2 A

Player Pumpkin checked on turn in front when they hit their set, and Player Cactus checked to see his str8 for free...

Then on the river both players hit their big hands...there is a bet from Player Cactus with a str8, and Player Pumpkin goes all in (with boat, but you don't know that).............. 

Can you fold your str8 to a player you know who could potentially hold any 2 cards????

1 comment:

  1. John -

    Having played a ton of poker over the last 5 years, I've seen it all. For starters, online this would be a way easier call. However, in scenarios like this, being live, this hand is actually pretty unique and a lot tougher of a call. I don't know much about either player nor have I seen the hand. You are missing the action preflop and on the flop (which is extremely important in determining hand ranges and deciding future actions). With out that though, I'd say folding on the river wouldn't be horrible with a straight in this spot. Here is why:
    - Depending if this is an over bet allin, its likely a trap hoping the villian has a straight and will call or maybe even look him up with an Ace.
    - From the view of the guy with the straight, he pretty much doesn't beat anything but a pure bluff here. At best he'd be calling to chop.
    - The fact that the guy checked the turn then shipped allin over a bet on the river really makes me think that my point above holds true even more.

    If you can post the stack sizes, blinds, preflop action, and flop action then I can assisgn better ranges to each player and then use SNG Power Tools to calculate the equity of calling this river allin vs folding, and you might be surprised to find its a -ev call.

    Trevor R.

    ReplyDelete